Saturday, February 14, 2009

Is Flying Safe Anymore?

Sure, maybe this is what they call 'too soon'...but honestly, I'm scared to fly anymore. Continental Commuter Flight 3407 crashed into a house yesterday, killing all 44 passengers, four crew members, an off-duty pilot, and one person on the ground. It was the first deadly crash of a commercial airliner in the U.S. in 2 1/2 years. 

Yet, just a month ago, we saw incredible footage of a plane landing in the Hudson River, piloted by Sully Sullenberger, saving the lives of all 155 people on board. What if that guy wasn't so skilled? What if the plane landing went something like this?

Pardon me if I'm scared to death to fly nowadays. Ice on the wings? Geese flying into the engines? Isn't the potential for that sh*t to happen all the time REALLY GOOD? Someone said look at the statistics though compared to automobile crashes and plane crashes. You're much more likely to get into an auto accident then a plane crash. Yea, well, the likelihood of me surviving a car crash is much higher than me surviving a plane crash. Usually, when a plane crashes, it's over. No matter how many times we watch "Lost", I'm thinking if I crash in a plane, I'm going to become an orb. 

Sorry to be so morbid on Valentine's Day. I guess that's why I should get a girlfriend. It's not my fault that I never want to look at my pilot again when I'm getting on an airplane. I have an issue with judging people and I know I'll instantly judge whether or not my pilot looks like they can smoothly land in a river. 

The crash of Flight 3407 was a tragic loss and I'm sorry for everyone that was affected by this accident. This is just something that's been on my mind for the last day/month. 

I wish it were as simple as taking segueway's across the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment